Cleaning your House Checklist
I’ve written about cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms with all natural methods and without the use of chemicals. Next on the list: the bedrooms and general living areas of the home. I included checklists for each room, including the kitchen and bathrooms, for easy reference.
A Cleaning Checklist
For the most part, these areas often require as much organizing as cleaning, so I’ll be including some organizing ideas today as we go through the house and checklist. Feel free to print the checklists below, or you can print my Room Cleaning Checklist from my Home Management Binder and customize to each room (Free printables here). I keep mine in protective binder sheets (tape the top closed) so the kids can use them to clean each room.
- Pick up everything on floors and move to appropriate areas.
- Open windows for some ventilation or turn on an air filter if you have one.
- Spot clean any spots on furniture using baking soda and water or liquid castille soap and a damp rag.
- Wash any blankets or throw pillows if needed.
- Clean lamps with microfiber cloths or a damp rag with all-purpose cleaner. A hydrogen peroxide spray works to clean white lampshades.
- Wash windows and windowsills with microfiber or 50/50 Vinegar/Water solution.
- Remove blinds and wash in bathtub with vinegar and water or use some old rags and straight white vinegar.
- Wipe down electronics and electronic screens with microfiber or rags with just plain water.
- Use a damp rag or microfiber cloth to wipe down walls and switch plates.
- Wipe down door s and door handles (use hydrogen peroxide if anyone has been sick).
- Mop floors with microfiber or with a cup of vinegar in a gallon of water and a wet mop.
- Remove clothes from drawers, wipe down drawers and return clothes.
- Wash sheets.
- Hand pillows and mattress pads in the sun for 2-3 hours to remove bacteria and air out.
- Dust, sweep or mop under bed.
- Clean outside of toilet with hydrogen peroxide and inside with vinegar and baking soda and a brush.
- Shine mirror and windows with microfiber or with vinegar water (50/50) mix and a clean rag.
- Wipe down counters and sink with all-purpose cleaner or microfiber.
- Clean floor and grout (use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide for stained grout).
- Wash cabinet doors and knobs with microfiber or all-purpose cleaner.
- Wipe down appliances.
- Remove food from fridge and freezer and clean inside with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution or microfiber. Return food to proper places.
- Pull out fridge and stove and clean underneath them with a vinegar and water solution.
- Dust refrigerator coils and clean out grate at front of refrigerator.
- Remove everything from counter tops and wipe down counters and backsplash. Wipe down each appliance and counter item before returning it.
- Clean sink and fixture with microfiber or undiluted vinegar on a wet rag.
- Sweep and mop flour and clean grout if needed.
- Wipe down washer and dryer with wet rag and all-purpose cleaner.
- Wash inside of washing machine, removing the inner part and washing in the sink if you don’t have an HE washer.
- Remove dryer lint trap and wash with dishwashing liquid to remove film.
- Wipe down all walls, baseboards and other flat surfaces to remove dust.